Most homes are well stocked with the ordinary over-the-counter items found in most medicine chests. Things like pain relievers, antacids, cough medicines, and eye drops. Seldom are these items behind lock and key and rarely cause death. But recently in South Carolina, a wife was convicted of killing her husband by putting eye drops in his drinking water.
According to the FDA (Food and Drop Administration:
” The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning the public that accidental ingestion (swallowing) by children of over-the-counter (OTC; available without a prescription) eye drops used to relieve redness and nasal decongestant sprays can result in serious harm. The eye drops and nasal sprays that have been involved in the cases of accidental ingestion contain the active ingredients tetrahydrozoline, oxymetazoline, or naphazoline. These products are sold under various brand names, as generics, and as store brands“
For more information and a list of products click here
Getting back to the murder conviction in South Carolina, the wife said in her statements that her husband put eye drops in his morning coffee to induce a bathroom visit. Very strange story but informative at the same time.
Here is a short clip of the 48 Hour Segment:
Please note that some of the reported cases of death and injury are of pets, that chew up the small plastic bottle with clear liquid.