Holy night flower

After the leaves fall and the autumn colors disappear another gift of nature appears.

The poinsettia a native plant of Mexico is traditionally used during the Christmas season. The plant grows in a variety of colors but dark reds are the most popular.

One common questions asked is, “are poinsettias poisonous”?  According to the University of Illinois:

“Poinsettias are not poisonous. A study at Ohio State University showed that a 50-pound child would have to eat more than 500 leaves to have any harmful effect. Plus poinsettia leaves have an awful taste. You might want to keep your pets from snacking on poinsettia leaves. Eating the leaves can cause vomiting and diarrhea.”

It’s a colorful, easy, affordable piece of Holiday decor

Warm wishes

Alice

 

Advertisements