French Protestant Huguenot Church of Charleston South Carolina
“In April of 1680 the ship Richmond arrived in Charleston with 45 French Protestants (Huguenots) aboard. More refugees followed, and in 1687, a church was built on what is now the corner of Church St. and Queen St. in downtown Charleston. About four hundred and fifty Huguenots had settled in the Low Country of South Carolina by 1700.
The original church was destroyed in 1796 in an attempt to stop the spread of a fire, which had burned much of the surrounding area. The replacement for the original building was completed in 1800 and dismantled in 1844 to make way for the present Gothic Revival edifice, designed by Edward Brickell White and dedicated in 1845. The church was damaged by shellfire during the long bombardment of downtown in the War Between the States and was nearly demolished in the severe earthquake of 1886. ” To read more about the history of this beautiful church click here
This church was the first Gothic Revival Building in Charleston. It stands today unaltered even the glass windows are original.
Worshippers once arrived at the church by boats making it known as the “Church of the tides”.
The Church was listed on the National Register of Historic places on November 7, 1973.