A poor weather forecast may be one of the best times to look at a property that you have an interest in purchasing. An abundance of information may be clearly noticed during different types of extreme weather. During the buying process knowing these things ahead of time will enable you to budget for issues that may need attention early in your ownership.
Here are some things you can easily discover:
- Leaks in the roof, chimney, ceiling vents, or around the windows
- Water intrusion in a basement, garage, or enclosed porch areas
- A sagging roof from the weight of snow
- Loose roofing shingles during heavy wind
- Insufficient drainage on the property
- Air drafts in the fireplace, door, and window areas
- Heating and cooling units not efficiently adjusting the room temperature
- Slow plumbing drainage
- Instability of the ground, washouts
- Crackling tree limbs with high winds
- Exterior sloping of driveways and sidewalks that may be difficult to manage with ice and snow
If you are working with a real estate agent ask them what issues are commonly found in the area. They can help you work through any concerns and ask your home inspector to make suggestions of areas that you can keep an eye on to avoid common problems. You will also be able to make an informative decision on any extra insurance that you may want to carry.
Happy puddle jumping 🙂
Copied from my blog/easyrealestate