Port Wentworth Georgia-Our Lady Of Lourdes
Just seven miles west of Savannah is a small community of Port Wentworth that dates back into the 1700s, and the time of colonial plantations.
For history enthusiasts, it may be known as the location where Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin.
Folks that prefer to travel off the Interstate highways may find themselves on US 17 heading north and south. Locally called the Coastal highway.
In 1917 Dixie Crystals (sugar) built a refinery and moved operations and employees from St. Mary’s Parish in Louisiana to Port Wentworth. Many of the families were Catholic and a mission church was started. In 1940 the cornerstone for Our Lady of Lourdes was laid and the church opened that October under the Diocese of Savannah.
In 1958 in honor of the centennial of Our Lady of Lourdes appearance in France, a group of men in the parish built a grotto at the side of the church.
The impressive statue of “Our Lady” is notably one of the most recognized sites along the highway. The amazing stonework, altar, and prayer area serve visitors and locals at anytime one should pass by or needs a place to reflect.
At any given time you will find an abundance of fresh flowers at the altar.
The impressive stone work of the parish men
A beautiful prayer built into the wall
Recognition of the donation of the statue
For travelers on Interstate 95, Port Wentworth is at exit 109. If traveling south it is the first exit in Georgia when leaving South Carolina. There are hotels, gas stations, and restaurants available. Also, it is a direct route into Savannah with a peaceful prayer stop along the way.